Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 24/365: Conflicted Minimalism

Everyday I am bombarded with advertising.  It tickles the trained consumer in me to buy the newer, bigger, faster, better, something-er thing when I have a completely serviceable item already in my possession.  The fight for minimalism is a daily wrangling of my idol factory of a heart into submission to contentment and gratitude for what I have been given.  I am pretty annoyed with the fact that I can't seem to just settle into minimalism without temptation to own more or better or more expensive things.

In the midst of all that though, I am very thankful to be having the inner fight.

I am grateful for the people who have written a lot about paring down your things and inspired me down the path.  I'm thankful for the tension where I have to be intentional about what I have and where it goes and what I don't have.

Making conscious decisions about possessions that I have had and need to part with or that I have not had and do not need to acquire has been a healthy exercise for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment